Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Scoring too highly on search engines

We received the following email today. I’ve removed the young mans name as adding it to my blog would not help his cause very much.

“Dear 4T2 multimedia,

It appears that I am on the leaderboard for the game Exchange & Mart Sports 2000 Racer PLAYERS NAME AND POSITION. I would really appreciate it if you could remove me from this site, since it is one of the first hits when a google search is done with my name. It is not something that I would like to others to see when searching for me. I appreciate your help. Also, the results are from 2003, over 4 years ago, so the removal of that page would be a good idea. Thanks,”


And he’s right – If you enter his name in Google his score is the very first entry.

So has any one come across this before? Is this really our responsibility? Xchase is only still online for portfolio purposes and to keep traffic flowing to that URL in case we create a new version of the game.

For reference - I’ve removed his name from the score table.

Any thoughts on this matter are appreciated!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Intersting issue. I recently changed job and before doing so, had to ask a mate whom had written up about our youthful work exploits on his blog ... a few years earlier. Problem was that when you googled my name, up came this piece along with more serious work bts 'n' pieces.

He did, and overt the coming months, all references have been removed 9i.e., in googles cache etc).

Thing is - I was able to do thi because I know the guy well. If it was an annon site, well what could I have done?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home